Professor of Nanomedicine
I obtained my PhD degree from Erasmus University Medical Center Rotterdam, The Netherlands. My thesis focused on liposomal targeting of antimicrobial agents. From 2000-2011, I worked at the dept Pharmaceutics of Utrecht University working on polymers, micelles and liposomes, loaded with small molecular weight drugs as well as biologicals, targeting a variety of diseases. Within this period, I spent 2002-2003 working for Intradigm Co. (USA) on formulations for in vivo targeting of siRNA. In 2007, I obtained a Vidi grant from NWO to start my own research line, in 2009 I received the Galenus Research Award for my drug delivery work and in 2010 was awarded an ERC Starting Grant (consolidator phase) to investigate extracellular vesicles for drug delivery. In 2011, I moved to University Medical Center Utrecht where I complement my research lines on drug targeting with investigations on nanoparticles in diagnostic applications.
- Natural and synthetic nanoparticles for diagnosis and therapy
Selected publications (for a complete overview, click here)
- Groot Kormelink T, Powe DG, Kuijpers SA, Abudukelimu A, Fens MH, Pieters EH, Kassing van der Ven WW, Habashy HO, Ellis IO, Blokhuis BR, Thio M, Hennink WE, Storm G, Redegeld FA, Schiffelers RM. Immunoglobulin free light chains are biomarkers of poor prognosis in basal-like breast cancer and are potential targets in tumor-associated inflammation. Oncotarget. 2014 5(10):3159-67.
- Babae N, Bourajjaj M, Liu Y, Van Beijnum JR, Cerisoli F, Scaria PV, Verheul M, Van Berkel MP, Pieters EH, Van Haastert RJ, Yousefi A, Mastrobattista E, Storm G, Berezikov E, Cuppen E, Woodle M, Schaapveld RQ, Prevost GP, Griffioen AW, Van Noort PI, Schiffelers RM. Systemic miRNA-7 delivery inhibits tumor angiogenesis and growth in murine xenograft glioblastoma. Oncotarget. 2014 5(16):6687-700.
- van der Meel R, Fens MH, Vader P, van Solinge WW, Eniola-Adefeso O, Schiffelers RM. Extracellular vesicles as drug delivery systems: Lessons from the liposome field. J Control Release. 2014 195C:72-85.
- Marsh A, Schiffelers R, Kuypers F, Larkin S, Gildengorin G, van Solinge W, Hoppe C. Microparticles as biomarkers of osteonecrosis of the hip in sickle cell disease. Br J Haematol. 2014 [Epub ahead of print].
- Vader P, Fens MH, Sachini N, van Oirschot BA, Andringa G, Egberts AC, Gaillard CA, Rasmussen JT, van Wijk R, van Solinge WW, Schiffelers RM. Taxol(®)-induced phosphatidylserine exposure and microvesicle formation in red blood cells is mediated by its vehicle Cremophor(®) EL. Nanomedicine (Lond). 2013 8(7):1127-35.